Friday, February 15, 2008

My Bucket List




"Edward Perman Cole died in May, it was a Sunday afternoon and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It's difficult to understand the sum of a persons life, some people would tell you it's measured by the ones left behind, some believe it can be measured in faith, some say by love, other folks say life has no meaning at all......Me, I believe you measure yourself by the people who measure themselves by you. What I can tell you for sure is that by any measure, Edward Cole lived more in his last days on earth than most people manage to wring out of a lifetime. I know that when he died his eyes were closed and his heart was opened......"

This was the opening line to this movie. To say that watching this flick had a profound affect on me and my attitude towards life is a great understatement.

I have one such list. Except that I didn't call it my Bucket List. I simply refer to it as "The things I wanna do before I die."
1. Perform my Haj.
2. Go to Mekkah with my family.
3. Repay all my debts.
4. See God's earth with my family.
5. See the 7 wonders of the world.
6. Learn to speak fluent Arabic and French.
7. Have a fantastic relationship with my daughters.
8. Live a simple but fulfilling life.
9. Learn psychology to the highest level.

And the list goes on. I believe more things will be added and some will be stricken out or checked off from the list.

Some may see the morbidity of it all. But I believe when we know how we want to die, we will discover how we want to live. Some people feel that this movie is simply about a list; a list of all the good things in life: places to be visited, people worth cherishing, values to which to cleave... and friendship. Well, everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of the meaning of this film. The Bucket List is about the importance of living life as if each moment might be your last.

Live everyday of your life as if it's your last and one day you'll be right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now this i can really relate to..like my fave motto "hidup ini adalah sementara semuanya hanya dipinjamkan"...even in islam also says "work today as if you are going to live forever but live today as if you are going to die today" (something along that line)

Dearest Mak

Dearest Mak, Its been 15 days since you went home to Allah. I pray He has placed you among the righteous and pious. So many people prayed th...